This application brings the power of Plex to your Windows 8 desktop or tablet. With Plex, you can stream your music, videos and photos from your home computers running Plex Media Server and access content from a wide range of channels. Channels are available for iTunes, and for online services like YouTube, Vimeo and Revision3.
Additionally, you can sign up for the myPlex service, which lets you connect to servers shared with you by your friends, queue videos from your web browser to watch later, and connect to your Plex Media Server at home wherever you are in the world via Wi-Fi or a cellular connection, with no configuration necessary!
Plex Media Server streams your media directly from your computer, so there's no need to manually convert before viewing. Plex is smart, too: if your media isn't already in a format your device can play, it'll convert it on-the-fly.
In order to stream local media from your network, you must have Plex Media Server installed and running. Version 0.9.7.12 or later is required. See http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/ for more details.
• A PC running Windows XP SP3 or later (Windows Vista or Windows 7 recommended), a Mac running OS X 10.6 or later, or an Intel machine running Linux.
• In order to transcode to 480p, you need at least a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processor.
• DRM-protected content is not supported.
• ISO images are not supported.
• VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
• Only containers and codecs supported by Microsoft Media Foundation will Direct Play
• (Connectivity) Connecting to a Plex Media Server on the local machine requires a loopback exemption [Microsoft sandboxing issue]
• (HTTP Live Streaming) AC-3 and MP3 are not supported
• (Video) On some systems, video may glitch when alt-tabbing in and out of the app [Microsoft Media Foundation issue]
• (Video) On some systems, returning from video playback hangs the interface until user input is provided.
• (Video) Selecting subtitles always triggers a transcode [Microsoft Media Foundation issue]
• (Video) MKV containers, DTS audio, FLAC music are not supported for Direct Play [Microsoft Media Foundation issue]
• (PlayTo) Using Xbox 360 as a PlayTo target can be very slow [Microsoft Xbox issue]
• (Remote Control) Most navigation commands don't work yet [WinRT issue]
• (Remote Control) Remote control won't work if the client's active server is on the same machine as the Plex app [Microsoft sandboxing issue]