DxI Codec is a precise digital emulation of the analog dbx-I/Disc noise reduction system for audio tape/LP. The software app is capable of decoding/encoding dbx-I/Disc formatted audio in digital domain. Powered by the proprietary DSP engine, the decoding/encoding can be performed in realtime, which allows for instant processing, monitoring and fine-tuning.
The built-in EQ converter can help to translate between CCIR/IEC1 and NAB/IEC2 specifications at different tape speeds.
The dual-meter display visualizes the potential dynamic range mismatch, along with a threshold slider for instant correction.
The RMS timing slider: offers optional flexibility to adjust the compander's tracking speed.
DxI Codec is a stand-alone GUI app without relying on any other DAW host. It allows the computer to serve as an external(outboard) dbx-I/Disc compatible unit in one of the following four modes:
- from Audio-In to File (a digitizer/recorder).
- from File to Audio-Out (a player).
- from File to File (an off-line processor, with batch capability).
- from Audio-In to Audio-Out (a through processor, with slight delay).
Currently supported audio file formats are:
WAV, FLAC, AIFF: up to 96k/24bit.
MP3, AAC, M4A: up to 48k/VBR.
* Excluding some proprietary variants having the common file extensions, or additional format-normalization may be required.
A VST plugin is also available as an optional software component of the application.
The software comes with embedded user manual on each major functions.